Software / setup for recording an online interview

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
edited May 4 in Technical

I'm looking to do a 1-on-1 interview with a person 1000 miles away, and I'd like to record it and publish it on YouTube.
As I like to joke: "it's better to have a whore daughter, than a YouTuber son." LOL

I have a laptop with a microphone and a camera. I also have some headset with a microphone (not the best quality though).

What software and equipment would you recommend for doing that?

Thanks in advance for any tips and help.

Edit/clarification:

I don't plan to live-stream. Just to make a good recording.
I was thinking along the lines of simple OBS Studio to record my chat screen - and try chatting via Viber or Zoom and the likes.

But I'm open to better ideas.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Comments

• @bikegremlin said:
    I'm looking to do a 1-on-1 interview with a person 1000 miles away, and I'd like to record it and publish it on YouTube.
    As I like to joke: "it's better to have a whore daughter, than a YouTuber son." LOL

I have a laptop with a microphone and a camera. I also have some headset with a microphone (not the best quality though).

ryanair? it would be the cheapest option i guess !

Thanked by (2)vyas bikegremlin

Dentistry is my passion

• @Chievo said:

@bikegremlin said:

ryanair? it would be the cheapest option i guess !

Jokes aside NiS( Serbia) to Vienna is 16.99 euros one way and takes 1hour 20 minutes and from there you could fly the same day to another european country for peanuts. How they are so cheapo????? No idea but they are for the moment. I know ryanair is not cool option but for 16.99 you could order just one pizza on Glovo- uber eats. Damn ......yes i am used to ryanair....... LESair!

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Dentistry is my passion

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Just for recording, Audacity (free) is really good. It is what we use at university to record audios. If you want to record screen, too, try OBS (also free) :)

• Both Zoom and Teams natively support recording the session.
    You don't need other software.

HostBrr aff best VPS.
    Unable to push-up due to shoulder injury 😣

• Check vdo.ninja

• Do you want to secretly record the interview? If yes, try ScreenRec (Windows). I've been doing this for quite some time, basically, it records your screen and sound.

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• @bikegremlin said:
    I was thinking along the lines of simple OBS Studio to record my chat screen

Never tried recording an interview, but I was going to suggest something similar.

The only difference is I always used ShareX instead of OBS. Open-source tool, never had any issues with it: https://getsharex.com/

Independently of the tools, one of the most important things is to do a test recording before doing the real interview.

• @Dazzle said:
    Do you want to secretly record the interview? If yes, try ScreenRec (Windows). I've been doing this for quite some time, basically, it records your screen and sound.

The native recording functionality in Zoom and Teams announces it is being recorded?

• @bikegremlin Is there any particular reasons you don't want to use the native recording functionality in Zoom or Teams?

• @Joseph said:

@Dazzle said:
    Do you want to secretly record the interview? If yes, try ScreenRec (Windows). I've been doing this for quite some time, basically, it records your screen and sound.

The native recording functionality in Zoom and Teams announces it is being recorded?

Yes, every person on the meeting can see that the session is being recorded if you use native function.

@Joseph said:
    @bikegremlin Is there any particular reasons you don't want to use the native recording functionality in Zoom or Teams?

Yes, for example if you are attendees to a webinar, you can't use record function or the host disabled it. Another reason, talking to a person and keep the recording as (future) proof of what he was saying.

Thanked by (1)Joseph

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• edited May 5

@DataRecovery said:

@bikegremlin said:
    I was thinking along the lines of simple OBS Studio to record my chat screen

Never tried recording an interview, but I was going to suggest something similar.

The only difference is I always used ShareX instead of OBS. Open-source tool, never had any issues with it: https://getsharex.com/

Independently of the tools, one of the most important things is to do a test recording before doing the real interview.

ShareX will capture the audio too?

How does it compare to ScreenRec and to OBS Studio?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Joseph said:
    @bikegremlin Is there any particular reasons you don't want to use the native recording functionality in Zoom or Teams?

None whatsoever. If it gets the job done - great.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

Audio was good - but I should work on video quality - Zoom recording:

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired

@bikegremlin said:

When is my interview scheduled again?

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

On a Saturday, of course.

We are yet to confirm the week and the year though.
    And the pants status.
    :)

@bikegremlin said:

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

And the pants status.

Pants is easy I stole a pair of @ehab's they should fit nicely!!!

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

And the pants status.

How can you steal pants from ehab when he doesn’t have any ?

Squats are the new Push-ups

@vyas said:

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

And the pants status.

How can you steal pants from ehab when he doesn’t have any ?

Probably because I stole his last pair!

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin vyas